Within the Data Processing Systems Engineering Competence Area (DP S&A) of the System Engineering and Projects (SEP) Division, the Data Processing Systems Engineers support the design, development/upgrade, verification and validation of Data Processing systems including the associated procurements, and support their maintenance and evolutions during the operations phase.
- Define and maintain requirements and specifications in support to the development of new Data Processing systems or for upgrades to existing systems.
- Contribute and follow-up the related developments/procurements and its integration inside full scale Data Processing Systems and/or Ground Segments;
- Contribute to the definition of, execution and follow up of Integration and Verification & Validation (IV&V) testing of new or evolved;
- Support scheduling and prioritisation of tasks and the assessment of the quality of deliverables;
- Contribute to the definition and planning of the transition of Data Processing systems from development to operations;
- Support the Data Processing Systems and Applications Competence Area Manager in defining long term plans and roadmaps to harmonise engineering, maintenance and evolutions of Data Processing Systems across all satellite systems exploited by EUMETSAT.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Proven experience in engineering of Data Processing systems following well established processes, covering the full development lifecycle and relevant technical standards (e.g. ECSS, CCSDS, OGC);
- Demonstrable knowledge of software development lifecycles and change control processes;
- Competence in the area of Data Processing Systems Verification &Validation (V&V) activities, including automated testing, software testing, unit test suite maintenance, software debugging and profiling;
- Ability to manage complex tasks with minimum supervision, including planning and prioritisation of activities, allocation and coordination of resources, monitoring and reporting;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to apply these to a team environment while working within a matrix structure;
- Experience leading/coordinating engineering teams and in the management of industrial contracts in relevant area will be considered an advantage.
- A university degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Software or Systems Engineering relevant discipline.
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and have some knowledge of French.
The initial contract will be of 4 years’ duration, with subsequent 5 year contracts being awarded thereafter, subject to individual performance and organisation requirements. There is no limit to the amount of follow-up contracts a staff member can receive up to the EUMETSAT retirement age of 63 and there are certainly opportunities to establish a long career perspective at EUMETSAT.
This post is graded A2/A4 on the EUMETSAT salary scales. The minimum basic salary for this post is EURO 5,612 per month (net of internal tax) which may be negotiable based on skills and experience. The salary scale provides for increments on the anniversary of taking up employment, and scales are reviewed by the EUMETSAT Council with effect from 1 January each year. In addition to basic salary, EUMETSAT offers attractive benefits. Further information, including salary details, is available on the EUMETSAT web site.
EUMETSAT is committed to providing an equal opportunities work environment for men and women.
Please note that only nationals of EUMETSAT Member States may apply. The EUMETSAT Convention requires that Staff shall be recruited based on their qualifications, account being taken of the international character of EUMETSAT.
EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency. Its role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation's Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT has 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.)
Closing date - 28 July 2019